Monday, November 11, 2013

Classic Spin #4

I am so excited to be able to participate in this Spin Challenge set up by The Classic Club.  Typically I miss it.  Here is my list of 20.

  1. The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  2. Lord of the Flies - William Golding
  3. Cannery Row - John Steinbeck
  4. Ana Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
  5. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe
  6. Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  7. One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  8. Lady Chatterley's Lover - DH Lawrence
  9. Ovid - Metamorphoses
  10. Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  11. Birds and Other Plays - Aristophanes
  12. The Iliad - Homer
  13. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich - Alexander Solzhenisyn
  14. August 1914 - Alexander Solzhenisyn
  15. Ten Great Mysteries - Poe
  16. Around the World in Eighty Days - Jules Verne
  17. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain
  18. A Journey to the Center of the Earth - Jules Verne
  19. Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
  20. A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

And since I have my box of classics out I might as well as list the rest of my collection that I still need to read.

  1. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
  2. Winesburg - Sherwood Anderson
  3. Sister Carrie - Theodore Dreiser
  4. Mansfield Park - Jane Austen
  5. Persuasion - Jane Austen
  6. A Room with a View - Forster
  7. A Pair of Silk Stockings and Other Stockings - Kate Chopin
  8. The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
  9. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
  10. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
  11. The Canterbury Tales - Chaucer
  12. Uncles Tom's Cabin - Stowe
  13. Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
  14. Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
  15. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain

11 comments:

Holly (inbetweenthebookcovers) said...

You've got 2 of my favourite all time books in your spin list! Lord of the Flies I read in an evening because I was so hooked! I wouldn't say it's a 'lovely' novel, but it's certainly a different one!

I'll try not to gush too much over Crime and Punishment. Seriously, it's a work of art. Seeing the slow descent of Raskolnikov into madness and guilt. Urgh, it's just so beautiful... Gah, I really need to stop. Seriously, read it even if it isn't picked. It's one of the most beautiful, if not harrowing books I've ever read. Have fun getting into the mind of a murderer :)

JeanPing said...

Ooh, some great stuff! I hope you get a good one. (I tell you what though, Last of the Mohicans: skippable.)

AnneElliot said...

An interesting mix on your list!! Lady Chatterley's Lover was my second spin pick. I'd been dreading it but I ended up really enjoying it. I also loved Cannery Row, and Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favorites. I hope you like your spin selection!

Rivorniel Tinubelin said...

Good stuff! I also have One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, I'm kind of hoping to get this one - it's been a while since I last read anything Russian.

Jenna said...

Bronte! Dickens! Yes! I do love this list. The only one I can say I really dislike is Lord of the Flies. I've read it once and attempted it two more times and have never managed to enjoy it. I hope you get a book you really want to read!

BronaDragonfly said...

Just thought I'd pop over & say 'hi' now that the spin has been announced - no. 10!
I'm also reading a Dostoyevsky - The Brothers Karimazov - so I thought we could help each out and keep each other on track, inspired, focused whatever it might take to get us through such a hefty Russian!!
Good luck

breethethingsweread said...

I think you had something to do with me getting Crime and Punishment. lol
I'm looking forward to reading it for the Spin. Thanks

breethethingsweread said...

Haha thanks for the warning.

breethethingsweread said...

Thanks. I love John Steinbeck. Have you read East of Eden? My all time favorite book.

breethethingsweread said...

Lord of the Flies is not one of my top choices. Its not one I want to read but feel as a former English education student that I should read it.

breethethingsweread said...

Russian reading is on!